Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Al-Anon / Alateen

"I felt victimized by the alcoholics I lived with while growing up, and I carried that attitude into my adult life. I took pains to appear mature, successful, grown up and in charge. Inside, however, I felt like a scared little kid who was completely out of control. I continued to feel and act like a perpetual victim -- fearful, reactive, and unable to cope. My fear became even more intense when I learned that my son was an alcoholic. Fortunately when he sought recovery, I found Al-Anon.

In Al-Anon I learned that I have choices. I don't need to be a helpless, hopeless victim. Instead, I can take responsibility for myself each moment through the choices I make. I can attend a meeting, call someone in the program, ask for guidance, pray, and work my program.

It isn't always easy. Sometimes I need to ask God to grant me courage to ask for help rather than to wallow in self-pity and fear. I can ask myself what I need and then do whatever is necessary to get my needs met. I don't have to worry about what everyone else is doing; they have their own Higher Power who cares for them. I can ask for courage to change the things I can and for serenity to accept the things I can't. Reminding myself that I always have choices gives me hope and courage to leave fear and passivity behind. i am always held in the care of my Higher Power, who gives me security and inspiration to act boldly by changing the one thing I can -- myself." -- Hope For Today

Please visit www.ncbermudaafg.org for more information.

No comments: